To be eligible for an Our Time Has Come Scholarship, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- You must identify as an African American or Latino,
- You must be a U.S. citizen or resident,
- You must be enrolled full-time on the main campus of Syracuse University. Scholarships are NOT awarded for part-time or summer study,
- You must have a current FAFSA on file,
- You must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (the average GPA of scholarship recipients for 2016-17 is 3.6).
The scholarships are based on need. In other words, you must have a need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid (based on your FAFSA). Once need is determined, awards are made based on academic merit.
Students can be nominated by faculty, staff, current scholarship recipients, or themselves. To apply or nominate, e-mail the following to Angela Morales-Patterson, assistant director of alumni and donor engagement, Office of Program Development. The subject line should read “Application for Our Time Has Come (OTHC) 2017–18.”
- Student’s first name, middle initial, and last name,
- SU ID number
- Letter of recommendation
- Personal Essay (This is your opportunity to tell us about your history of volunteering, education goals and career goals. You should also tell us why you believe you should be selected to be an Our Time Has Come Scholar).
- School/college of enrollment,
- Major, and
- Class standing for academic year 2017–18
The application period begins March 13, 2017, and closes May 12, 2017. Only students who are awarded scholarships will be notified in writing in September 2017.